An easy and reliable way to perform fire-and-forget, delayed and recurring long-running, short-running, CPU or I/O intensive tasks inside ASP.NET application. No Windows Service / Task Scheduler required. Even ASP.NET is not required.
Backed by Redis, SQL Server, SQL Azure or MSMQ. This is a .NET alternative to Sidekiq, Resque and Celery.
See the version list below for details.
• Fixed – Unexpected `DateTime` and `DateTime?` serialization issues in background job arguments.
• Fixed – `DistributedLockTimeoutException` in some background processes now logged with "DEBUG" level instead of "ERROR".
• Fixed – `ElmahLogProvider` to show errors when using SQL log.
• Fixed – Last execution field isn't shown on recurring jobs page, when background job has already expired.
• Fixed – `Hangfire.SqlServer` assembly doesn't include version in the `netstandard` target.
• Fixed – Lower the number of requests, when trying to acquire a distributed lock.
• Fixed – Problems with continuations and batch continuations, when using existing `SqlConnection` instance.
• Fixed – Distributed locks were silently released, when passing explicit closed connection to a storage.
• Fixed – `KeyNotFoundException` errors on various dashboard pages don't appear anymore.
• Fixed – "Cannot release the application lock because it is not currently held" exceptions, when connection was closed.
• Fixed – Allow to use zero timeout for SQL Server-based distributed locks.
• Fixed – Timeout exceptions that's caused by SQL Server's thread pool starvation, caused by sp_getapplock.
• Fixed – Antecedent background job is constantly failing, when its continuation hasn't been fully created.
• Added – `SqlServerStorageOptions.SlidingInvisibilityTimeout` to fetch jobs without using transaction.
• Fixed – Transaction log is full due to 'ACTIVE_TRANSACTION' by enabling to use new non-transactional fetch.
• Fixed – `SqlServerJobQueueMonitoringApi` can't cause READ UNCOMMITTED isolation level to leak on SQL Server 2012 or earlier.
• Fixed – Add missing `SqlServerStorage(DbConnection, SqlServerStorageOptions)` constructor.
• Fixed – Continuation is fired on a wrong queue, when parent job is finished before the creation.
• Fixed – Impossible to intercept failed state transition before `AutomaticRetryAttribute`.
• Fixed – Fixed translation in Chinese localization on home page (by @JustinChia).
• Fixed – Don't throw `NullReferenceException`, when state has changed during query on Processing page.
• Fixed – `CreateBatchFailedException`, when batch creation takes longer than 1 hour.
• Fixed – Types are resolved using the `GetServiceOrCreateInstance` method (by @Tsabo).
• Fixed – Don't hide errors occurred while running SQL migrations.
• Fixed – `KeyNotFoundException` when accessing Deleted Jobs page in Dashboard.
• Fixed – `SqlServerDistributedLock` leaks connections, when lock acquisition is failed.
• Fixed – Buggy state filters may cause background job to be infinitely retried.
• Fixed – Transient exception during Processing-Succeeded state transition may cause unexpected retry.
• Fixed – `NullReferenceException` in dashboard when OWIN's or ASP.NET Core's `User` is `null`.
• Fixed – Regression related to missing CSS and JS resources in dashboard appeared in 1.6.10.
• Fixed – Duplicate job continuations aren't added anymore, when outer transaction has failed.
• Fixed – Existing duplicate continuations don't lead to `ArgumentException`: the same key already added.
• Fixed – Replace inline script, because it may violate the Content Security Policy (by @Beczka).
• Fixed – Don't skip records in RecurringJobsPage (by @reaction1989).
• Fixed – `TimeoutException` on large arguments or large batches via `SqlServerOptions.CommandTimeout`.
• Fixed – `Cron.MonthInterval` now returns correct CRON expression.
• Fixed – Throw `NotSupportedException` early, when arguments contain delegate or expression.
• Fixed – Connection and distributed lock kept longer than necessary in `RecurringJobScheduler`.
• Fixed – Use local date/times everywhere in Dashboard UI.
• Fixed – Scheduled column title is now displaying correctly in Dashboard UI.
• Fixed – Typo "Nexts jobs" should be "Next jobs" in Dashboard UI (by @danielabbatt).
• Fixed – Use `long` where possible instead of `int` for background job identifiers, full support will be in 1.7.0.
• Fixed – ArgumentException when using complex arguments in generic methods like "IList<T>" (by @aidmsu).
• Fixed – Generic arrays like "T" aren't supported in background job arguments (by @aidmsu).
• Fixed – Wrong choice of the overload when multiple methods match the given arguments (by @aidmsu).
• Fixed – Null values for arguments when there are errors during the JSON deserialization.
• Fixed – Window resize cause errors and uncontrolled growth of event and poll listeners (by @Yarmonov).
• Fixed – HtmlHelper.ToHumanDuration incorrectly formats fractional seconds (by @pieceofsummer).
• Fixed – Exception in Dashboard UI when CRON expression is null by an accident (by @aidmsu).
• Fixed – Error in Dashboard UI when rendering an array that contains a null element (by @djfoz).
• Fixed – Inconsistent constructors' accessibility for different context classes (by @pieceofsummer).
• Fixed – Decrease the max default workers count to "20" in tests (by patrykpiotrmarek).
• Fixed – Inconsistent EOL characters in some files of a project (by @aidmsu).
• Fixed – Make Queue name accessible from RecurringJobDto (by @swordfish6975).
• Fixed – Validation added to avoid "An invalid application lock time-out" exceptions (by t0mburton).
• Fixed – Parameterless AspNetCoreJobActivator.BeginScope method now returns a correct instance (by @pieceofsummer).
• Fixed – Hangfire.Core, Hangfire.SqlServer and Hangfire.SqlServer.Msmq marked as CLS-compliant.
• Fixed – Generic methods cause ArgumentNullException when scoped variable is used in expression.
• Fixed – SqlServerJobQueue class doesn't use obsolete InvisibilityTimeout parameter anymore.
• Added – Chinese language to Dashboard UI (by @andy-zhouyou).
• Changed – Default upper limit of worker number is 20.
• Changed – Default value for DashboardJobListLimit is now 10000.
• Fixed – Deserialization exception in continuations, when TypeNameHandling.All option is used (by @MaksimSimkin).
• Fixed – I18N is not working, because there are no localized resources in NuGet packages.
• Fixed – Infinite redirect loops, when authenticated, but not authorized user accesses Dashboard UI.
• Fixed – "The type ... exists in both..." issue when building Hangfire, related to Newtonsoft.Json.
• Fixed – Use the given type's method, when scope variable is passed to a job expression.
• Fixed – Very rare resource leaks detected by Coverity Scan.
• Fixed – Different timeout issues after making performance optimizations.
• Fixed – SQL timeouts while getting a connection, when using default settings and >= 8 CPU cores.
• Fixed – ExpirationManager is bloated by SqlError instances, when there are a lot of messages from server.
• Fixed – Counters query returned inconsistent results during CountersAggregator executions.
• Performance – Added missing NOLOCK hint for monitoring queries when using SqlServer-based queues.
• Performance – ExpirationManager is forced to use index seek operations for cascade deletions.
• Performance – CountersAggregator now uses clustered index scan to issue less logical reads.
• Performance – Paging queries in dashboard now use CTEs to utilize less logical reads.
• Fixed – `SqlConnection` object leaks when using nested distributed locks (in batches and continuations).
• Fixed – Add missing `RecurringJob.AddOrUpdate` method overloads to prevent CS4014 warnings.
• Fixed – `ToGenericTypeString` method now handles types with no namespace correctly.
• Fixed – Prevent `ExpirationManager`'s command from timing out, when there are a lot of records.
• Fixed – `CountersAggregator` issue introduced in 1.6.2, that causes slow record aggregation.
• Fixed – Add `XLOCK` hint for `CountersAggregator` query to prevent deadlocks on lock escalation.
• Fixed – Prevent MSMQ transactions from timing out after 1 minute of processing.
• Changed – Recurring job page displays now raw cron strings, descriptions are in tooltips.
• Fixed – Return non-highlighted stack trace, when parsing takes too long, instead of throwing an exception.
• Fixed – Dashboard UI works correctly again, when IE 11 is in the Compatibility Mode.
• Fixed – Long method names now don't push tables out of the boundaries now.
• Changed – `JobExpirationCheckInterval` property value now defaults to 30 minutes.
• Fixed – Excessive blocking when expiring records in `State` and `JobParameters` tables.
• Fixed – Migration script `Install.sql` was deadlocked by itself, leading to errors on startup.
• Fixed – Public MSMQ queue paths are parsed correctly now, when determining the queue length.
• Added – Automatic unit tests execution for .NET Core on Windows, Linux and OS X using AppVeyor and Travis CI.
• Fixed – `DateTime` deserialization issues on .NET Core platform.
• Fixed – Fixed UI command behaviour, buttons can only be pressed once per command (by @mahoneyj2).
• Fixed – `TypeInitializationException` when using Serilog appeared in version 1.6.0.
• Fixed – Cron format strings for intervals are specified correctly now (by @stevetsang).
• Fixed – `NullReference` on Job Details page when background job has null value for `IEnumerable` argument.
• Fixed – Don't skip symbols when publishing NuGet packages.
• Fixed – Use GUID identifier when can't determine the host name.
• Fixed – Add missing `GetHttpContext` extension method for the .NET Core platform.
• Added – .NET Core support for Hangfire.Core and Hangfire.SqlServer packages (`netstandard1.3` target).
• Added – Ability to create jobs based on async methods, they are awaited by a worker (by @tuespetre).
• Added – Access to background job context from the `JobActivator.BeginScope` method.
• Added – Add LatencyTimeoutAttribute To delete jobs if timeout is exceeded (by @Excommunicated).
• Added – Ability to change statistics polling interval in dashboard (by @tristal).
• Added – Non-blocking `BackgroundJobServer.SendStop` method, that requests for a shutdown.
• Added – `BackgroundJobServerOptions.ServerName` option is back.
• Added – `IDashboardAuthorizationFilter` interface that makes `IAuthorizationFilter` obsolete.
• Added – Show background job continuations on Job Details page.
• Added – Multilanguage support in Dashboard via resource files (by @Elph).
• Added – Spanish localization for the Dashboard UI (by @Elph).
• Added – Enable backtracking from background job to recurrent job (by @teodimache).
• Added – Cron expressions for regular intervals for the `Cron` class (by @geirsagberg).
• Added – `IRecurringJobManager` interface for the `RecurringJobManager` class (by @arnoldasgudas).
• Added – Abstractions for Dashboard UI to decouple it from OWIN.
• Changed – Make the realtime/history graph to use localized dates on hover (by @Elph).
• Changed – Make graph tooltip also localized using data-attributes (by @Elph).
• Changed – Dashboard metric's title now contains the ResourceKey instead the title (by @Elph).
• Changed – Job Details page was redesigned to be more clean with less colors.
• Changed – Update jQuery to 2.1.4 and rickshaw.js to 1.5.1.
• Changed – Update NCrontab to 3.1.0.
• Changed – Update CronExpressionDescriptor to 1.17.
• Fixed – `ToGenericTypeString` method now supports nested classes (by @patrykpiotrmarek).
• Fixed – Dashboard Errors in Chrome and IE - Cannot read property 'removeChild' of null.
• Fixed – /hangfire/js outputs (unintended) UTF-8 BOM.
• Added – Deep integration with ASP.NET Core via Hangfire.AspNetCore package.
• Added – .NET Core support for Hangfire.Core and Hangfire.SqlServer packages (`netstandard1.3` target).
• Added – Zero latency processing when client and server reside in the same process (by @bgurmendi).
• Changed – `SqlServerStorage` class constructor now takes `DbConnection` instances (by @tystol).
• Changed – `SqlServerObjectsInstaller` class is public now (by @vbfox).
• Changed – Update Dapper to 1.50.1 version.
• Fixed – Drop constraints on Server.Id prior to altering it to avoid conflicts.
• Fixed – Package now depends on the latest Hangfire.SqlServer instead of version 1.2.2.